The Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) at the U.S. Department of Education (USED) has announced the release of the first two chapters of a new resource, the "English Learner Family Tool Kit". The English Learner (EL) Family Tool Kit will eventually contain six chapters or topics when complete. Release dates for additional chapters are not provided but will likely be announced by USED.
The chapters of the EL Family Tool Kit cover specific topics and provide information designed to help families of EL students understand and interact with the U.S. schooling system.
The first two chapters cover the topics:
- Enrolling Your Child in School
- Attending Schools in the United States
The topics of the remaining four chapters are:
- Obtaining Services for English Learners
- Finding Additional Services for Your Child
- Keeping Your Child Safe and Healthy in School
- Helping Your Child with Schoolwork at Home
Each chapter is broken up into five sections.
- General Information
- Family and Student Rights
- Questions to Ask School Staff
For more information and other resources offered by USED's Office of English Language Acquisition, click here. To learn more about how TransACT Parent Notices helps provide EL program and ESSA compliance support, check out these additional resources:
- English Language Proficiency Standards and Reading/Language Arts Content Standards: What’s the Difference?
- Serving English Learners Under ESSA: Details for State Plans
- Parent and Stakeholder Notifications Summary, Checklist & Timelines